2021 VIKING SCHOLARSHIP RULES
NOTE: All Applications Must Be Postmarked Between 11/1/2020 and 3/1/2021
- The applicant must hold either a Junior or Senior Membership in the Independent Order of the Vikings for at least six (6) months prior to the date of application.
- The applicant must have dues/assessments paid up through December 31st of the year the scholarship is awarded.
- The Financial Secretary of the subordinate lodge must certify the applicant’s name, lodge, certificate number and paid to date.
- The applicant must be a high school senior who has received confirmation of acceptance from an institute of higher learning. If the recipient does not attend an institute of higher learning, the dollar amount of the scholarship check shall be returned to the Independent Order of Vikings.
- The applicant shall send the completed application form and lodge certification form to their high school.
- The high school will submit a certified copy of high school transcript with the application forms and student evaluation to the IOV Fraternal Administrator by the date due. (We recommend that the student applicant coordinate with the high school counselor or administration to make sure materials are submitted.)
- The current year’s application forms shall be available from the Fraternal Adminstrator or the IOV website beginning November 1, 2020. The application materials will also be printed in the December 2020 IOV Journal.
- Applications for scholarships shall be submitted to the IOV Fraternal Administrator between November 1, 2020 and March 1, 2021.
- Incomplete applications will not be judged by the adjudicators. Follow the application checklist to ensure all materials are received on time.
- Applications will be judged on their merits by independent reviewers.
- APPLICATIONS POSTMARKED AFTER THE MARCH 1, 2021 DEADLINE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!
- The recipients of scholarships shall be announced at the first Executive Council Meeting after judging is complete. The scholarship check will be made payable to the recipient and paid in time for the fall semester. Award packets are sent to the Chief of the applicant’s lodge for presentation.
- These rules apply to the academic year 2020-2021. Scholarship rules and amount of the awards will be reviewed and updated yearly by the Executive Council of the Independent Order of Vikings.
A COMPLETE Application Packet consists of the following materials. Please use the 2021 Scholarship Checklist to guide you in preparing your application.
2021 Application Materials will be available November 1, 2020. You may want to REVIEW the 2020 materials (listed below) to more fully understand the process.
- 2020 IOV Scholarship Application (2 pages)
- Essay: 200 words, “Why I Would Like to be Considered for the Viking Scholarship”
- Certified High School Transcript
- 2020 School Recommendation
- 2020 Lodge Certification
IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you notify the Fraternal Administrator of your intention to submit a scholarship application, so we can contact you if it does not arrive. We would hate to miss consideration of a worthy applicant because of problems with the mail!